Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Welcome to My New Blog URL

Hi! My name is Chriss and I am currently a stay-at-home and/or work-at-home-mother (WAHM). I reside with my family in the province of Pangasinan, Philippines.

I've been a part-time tutor of grade school children since 1995, until I went back into college to continue my psychology course studies. In my tutoring sessions I usually guided the pupils in their homework. I would occasionally teach a struggling reader, though, because I believe that a child who can read independently has a vast opportunity to learn new ideas.

Plenty of write-ups have helped me in teaching youngsters to read. I got ideas from the teachings of Maria Montessori and Jean Piaget who dealt mostly with kids ages 3-5. Parenting magazines from the US also featured tips and tricks to teaching reading. Teacher's journals published in the country were also a great aid. All these helped me improve my basic methods and develop this material.

Ironically, it was only when my eldest child entered nursery that I had a different problem in teaching reading. He struggled with his reading and writing skills, had difficulty copying from the blackboard. After such time that I guided him in his homework, I was surprised that he learned to read anyways.

Until one evening while we were having a reading drill, the lights went out and he still continued to say the words written on the book. I then realized he was just reading from memory then and not from decoding! Because of his regular practice in reading it turned out he merely memorized the words! I felt defeated and my efforts did not bring improvement. I think I was pressured and in turn pressuring him to comply with the standards of the school he went to.

So I thought of other simple ways to present reading. I thought of how I learned to read when I was 5 years old. I remember I could really read the words on the "Snow White" book when my yaya would read them out loud for me. I could already read then when I entered kindergarten and met the teachers having folder-sized Alphabet cards for us pupils. How easy was it then?

this entry continues

0 comments:

Post a Comment

This is a PR2 blog with DO FOLLOW comment section. Comments are unmoderated.

THANKS TO OUR RECENT CUSTOMERS... ... M.LIM... T.MARCELO...S.PALMA....A.CUARESMA...V.SAQUILAYAN... G.REGONDOLA... A.B.SUSON... A. DELA FUENTE ...I.PO..M.NINALGA...C.PITA...D.TORRES...A.STA.MARIA...J.TALINDA...W.J.JORDAN....F.R.L.PASCUAL...R.ROSELLOGet this WidgetIP Blogger Widgets